Saturday, May 16, 2009

Frank Turner Signs with Epitaph

Press releases don't often make my day -- and I'll be honest here, I usually only read about 3 sentences of most that I get -- but this one totally made my entire afternoon a few days ago.

Frank Turner is now a member of the Epitaph family, which means an easier finding of his records stateside and more tour dates close to my apt. This is very good.

If you don't already know Mr. Turner, consider yourself warned. Get acquainted. I've been in love with him and his trucker hat and acoustic guitar and British accent since I first caught him on the family jamboree revival tour with Chuck Ragan last fall. (And I hate trucker hats.) I had never heard of him before that and wasn't expecting much as he slowly walked up to the mic. How many former punks have already put out solo acoustic albums over these last few years anyway? (Answer: plenty.) But by mid-set, and especially once I heard "Long Live the Queen," I knew I'd be looking him up afterward. (I get starstruck no matter how small someone's star might actually be, so of course, I did not approach said Turner after his set to chat. Please. I'll cyberstalk him later.)

Next thing I knew, I was listening to him on repeat day after day after day, and though I'm known for doing things like this on occasion (ok, a lot of occasions), it had been quite a long time since anyone really caught my attention like Turner. It's nothing special, just the standard guy + guitar, but he's just so good. The lyrics, the casual yet impassioned delivery, it's easy to see pieces of yourself and your friends in his songs -- they're like little declarations of your own fleeting thoughts and memories that you're glad someone else put into a few lines of a 2 minute song because it would have taken you much longer to get something half as coherent out.

Consider his new album one of my most anticipated this year; make it yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment